Little Senryu Theory//History

Senryu comes in many flavors. some like to make jokes, puns, satire etc. some like to make fun of things and people. some use #senryu to report what's happening in the news and offer critiques on various subjects and people....then there are others, like myself; who use #senryu as an exact report, an honest diary of the changes in a man's life/the various flavors and evolutions of a human's emotional/mental/spiritual terrain' (to borrow Takuboku's definition of #tanka).  In fact i see #senryu as a partial #tanka...to be used when the strength isn't there to make a full #tanka. 

in my case, there are two versions of #senryu. 1. Traditional - a portrait of others, of character types/stereotypes in all of their humaness. 2. Modern - a self-portrait.

...my #senryu mostly lean on the self-portrait side. im writing to tell my stories, my fears, my imaginings, the gamut of humanness. 

this is why I agree with #senryu master, Tokizane Shinko; who taught her students that there is great connection btwn #tanka #senryu...according to her, both spring from the human heart/soul.

Senryu is 267 yrs old, being created around 1757 in Japan (Edo). Senryu is roughly 114 yrs old, here in America; being  transplanted by Shinjiro 'Kaho' Honda in Yakima, Washington in 1910.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tanka 7/23

Description of ´Anti Ghazal´