lucille clifton poems II

[daniel]


i have learned

some few things

like when a man

walk manly

he don't stumble 

even in the lion's den

-


[jonah]


what i remember

is green

in the trees

and the leaves

and the smell of mango

and yams

and if i had a drum

i would send to the brothers

—be careful of the ocean—

-


[john]


somebody coming in blackness

like a star

and the world be a great bush

on his head

and his eyes be fire

in the city

and his mouth be true as time


he be calling the people brother

even in the prison

even in the jail


im just only a baptist preacher

somebody bigger than me coming 

in blackness like a star

-


[mary]


the kiss

as soft as cotton


over my breasts

all shiny bright


something is in this night 

oh Lord have mercy on me


i feel garden

in my mouth


between my legs

i see a tree

-


[joseph]


something about this boy

has spelled my tongue

so even when my fingers tremble

on mary

my mouth cries only 

Jesus     Jesus     Jesus

-


[the calling of the disciples]


some Jesus

has come on me


i throw down my nets

into water he walks


i loose the fish

he feeds to cities


and everybody calls me

an old name


as i follow out

laughing like God's fool

behind this Jesus

-


[the raising of Lazarus]


the dead shall rise again

whoever say

dust must be dust

don't see the trees

smell rain

remember africa

everything that goes

can come

stand up

even the dead shall rise

-


[palm sunday]


so here come i

home again

and the people glad

giving thanks

glorying in the brother

laying turnips

for the mule to walk on

waving beets

and collards in the air

-


[good friday]


i rise up above my self

like a fish flying


men will be gods

if they want it

-


[easter sunday]


while i was in the middle of the night

i saw red stars and black stars

pushed out of the sky by white ones

and i knew as sure as jungle

is the father of the world

i must slide down like a great dipper of stars

and lift men up

-


[spring song]


the green of Jesus

is breaking the ground

and the sweet

smell of delicious Jesus

is opening the house and

the dance of Jesus music

has hold of the air and

the world is turning

in the body of Jesus and

the future is possible

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tanka 7/23

Description of ´Anti Ghazal´